monitor trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
this is like soooo weird.....today I got a monster lighted 120mm fan that attaches to an 80mm adapter (ths is beside the point), anyways after I installed it plugged everything back in I had probs with my monitor and restarting and all kinds of locking up including a failure for VPU recovery and a couple times the computer gave a funny beep at startup with no monitor signal. Most of the time it would get just past the first blue screen booting up then I got this monitor message of "32k 40hz....something or other error or inconsistancy" then the monitor kicked off. sometimes it would even boot up fully then lock up or lose monitor signal and monitor would shut itself off but the computer kept running though.

I did everything from removing the vid card to unplugging and replugging in the VGA cable. then I decided to plug in another monitor and after a couple tries it worked fine. then I once again plugged in the good monitor and it worked.

I'm not sure if its the VGA cable shorting (my cat was playing around back there the other day and the monitor lost signal, guess she stepped her full weight on the cable where it goes into the vid card) or if this is my vid card having a bad connection to the mobo. I'm now very leery of even slightly moving the computer or even shutting down.

I'd hate to have to take the long trip back to Fry's to exchange this monitor and very afraid that its a vid card problem.

anyways, got any other suggestions or ideas as to what happened and why its working now and what that monitor message was all about?

**EDIT** checked the pins and they are fine

Have you tried a different video card in it yet and see if it boots normal?

goodness, that would require uninstalling the omega/ati drivers, and installing nvidia drivers cuz all i have is an old nvidia 64mb card.

mainly i was wondering what the heck that monitor message was....never saw THAT before.

I know I wouod probably do myself right by getting an all new vid card like the 9600 xt or better and exchanging the darned monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom