Monitor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillxlife

Baseband Member
I was recently given a NEC 17" flat CRT and did something somewhat stupid.... The screen hat alot of finger prints on it so i figures i wipe it real quick with some windex.... well it turns out there was like a layer of tint on it and i guess the amonia in the windex started to take it off, and all i did was wipe it, i didnt even press down. It looked like it was scratched really bad so i figured i would just take the entire layer off. Well i scrubbed about half of whatever this layer is off and the rest of is insanely hard to get off, so its like theres these smears of tint all over my monitor and its REALLY annoying. Any suggestions as to what to take it off with? I have tried everything : Windex, 2 types of 409, straight Amonia, rubbing alcohol, even nailpolish remover but nothing seems to take it off easily. How is it that windex can start the job but cant finish it?!?!

wow i didnt now that, good thing i never tryed cleaning my monitor.

now, i dont know if this is a good idea or a bad idea... but i have found that 'Brake clean' doesnt only clean brakes, it cleans anything.

- u can buy 'brake clean' at any local auto parts store for about 2 bucks.

- brake clean is used to clean brakes cause it cleans stuff like grease off them instantly and evaporates rapidly.

- dont breath it in or get any in your eye.. if u try using it, do it outside.

yeah or carburator cleaner lol.....windex is for GLASS MAN GLASS! what were you thinking! but I'm not gonna get onto you cause atleast you know and admitted you did something stupid. If you want to clean your monitor...next time just get a lint free cloth and wipe it off...dust simply sits on there it doesn't become engrained to the point of needing solvents to remove it...I can't believe I gotta suggest carburator cleaner for a monitor lmao <--- thats how funny it is..I never say lmao this is the first time ever

actually this isnt close to stupid, compaired to what some ppl have posted... this may actually be considered smart. its a lot more reasonable not to know that its not just glass on a monitor screan... compaired to cuting live wire's or using a hammer or something.

u know now that i think about it, gasoline itself is a realy good cleaner.

if u try any of these though, u'd prolly need to clean the monitor of again with water and scrubing or maybe a little soup, just to get the cemical smell off.
-----------------------------------------------
some one might actually post a real answer though. that u may wont to consider b4 u try any of those.

compaired to cuting live wire's or using a hammer or something.
lol yeah I was here for those threads good lord...you got a point though...those people should have known better....I could see how you could just not know and accidentally do it, but still windex is for glass =/

How is it that windex can start the job but cant finish it?!?!
lol write windex and complain to them that their product can't finish the job and demand a refund

lol write windex and complain to them that their product can't finish the job and demand a refund

lmao.. tell them the bottle said it provies a streak free shine, and send them a picture of what it did.

Haha, neither the monitor manual or the windex bottle say anything about not using it on computer monitors..... so perhaps somebody ows me a refund :D. And wow, who the hell cut a live wire on their computer? whoever the are they shouldnt have lived to post that topic....

I've used windex for years on all my computer monitors, and it's never done what yours has done. The coating which you speak of is an anitglare coating. If you cleaned it with Windex and you could still see it after you turned on the monitor, then it has started to delaminate on you. Time for another monitor. When you clean with windex you have to make sure you don't let any air dry on the monitor. you have to keep wiping until its completely gone. I usually use one paper towel to wet wipe with and another to dry with. Never spray windex or any cleaner directly on the screen. If it gets down between the bottom of the screen and the plastic frame, then you could fry your monitor. Instead spray the windex on a paper towel frist then wipe. Oh yeah the NEC's are not the best put togather monitors. I have a NEC Accusync 70 that I've had for about 2 years and the crt is starting to go on it already. When I frist turn on my computer the monitor flickers at the top and the bottom of the screen. And I had 3 of the same brand and model go bad at work.

windex is for GLASS MAN GLASS! what were you thinking
I didn't even get as far as the windex. I stopped at "scrubbing down the scratched layer"
:mad:

The things people do to their computers...

New monitor is not an option, im not investing anymore god damn money, i dont know if its the outlets in my house or what, but i fry monitors left and right, this is my 4th this year... i lost 2 last week.... They just turn off while im using the computer and wont turn back on.... Every time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom