Is this monitor any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am looking at buying a monitor for my sister as an early xmas present. I was going to get her a 19 inch but I have seen some 22 inch monitors fairly cheap. Would this be a good monitor:

Newegg.com - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

I know this isn't the greatest but she will be mainly surfing the internet and Microsoft Office stuff, no games or anything like that. I read somewhere that there is no drivers for Windows XP, just Vista. Would this monitor not work on an XP machine? Is there anything out there that would be better for around the same price?

Do you think it would be worth it to wait until black friday and see what deals they have?

That would work for the basics if there's no need for high end graphics and a high contrast ratio. For getting into anything with HSMI support and even faster 2-3ms response times then you will looking over $200 for any 22" model to get into anything worthwhile there. But Black Friday is coming now so browse a little before rushing.

Can't complain for the price! If you're just gonna use it for the basics, seems good.

Also check out the I-Inc monitors as well. I bought a crapload of em for my office to have everyone use a dual-monitor setup and they work fine. Theyre around that price.

Thanks for the replies.

This monitor will be hooked up to a computer that has a Nvidia 6800GS video card. This size monitor will not be too much for it, would it?

obviously since you have that card you won't be game much, if at all..so this monitor will be great for you. Personally, I've owned this monitor. It's a great looking monitor, sturdy, and just looks nice...but due to an accident (it fell on a screwdriver lol..) i had to buy a new one and went with a different company. Hanns-g support is mostly foreigners (no offense to anyone, i just hate trying to get help but can't because the person i'm talking to can't speak english :( ) so be careful lol

dad got mad and was throwing things around...one thing that got tossed was a box full of tools..tools hit desk, scattered said tools (screwdriver), when it hit the desk monitor fell...bye bye monitor :( ...actually it was only a hole about 3x3 pixels...no distortion around it or anything...i'm sure super picky about that kinda stuff lol

EDIT: just to give more details. The monitor DOES work with XP. and the built in speakers blow terribad...but who uses those expecting them to be good anyway? Also- newegg already has there black-friday deals in effect..so no use waiting if you are going to order from them

Sometimes what you will find in a Black Friday sale isn't what you want to start with! Take for instance the Asus 22" widescreen model seen at Newegg.com - ASUS VW223B Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with EzLink Technology 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 3000:1) - LCD Monitors

While that is priced lower onsale it lacks any DVI input as well as not seeing speakers with the same 5ms response time. Just remember despite the sale you still won't find more then something for basic used for less then $200 with large of screen size.

Now I am looking at 19inch monitors since she really doesn't need one that big.

This is one I am looking at:

Newegg.com - ASUS VW193T Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 (ASCR 1600:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

What do you all think? From the reviews it seems like it is pretty good. It does come with all the cables unlike some other monitors I have seen. Plus it has a $50 mail in rebate(even though I can't stand rebates).

Also I noticed that first monitor I was looking at already went up $10.

Ok! We'll see what else besides the Asus model there is available. IFor a little more a Viewsonic 19" widescreen model offers a higher contrast ratio plus the faster 2ms response time for the one seen at Newegg.com - ViewSonic X Series VX1940w Black&Silver 19" 2ms(GTG) Super High Resolution 1680x1050 DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 static (typ), 3000:1 dynamic (typ) - LCD Monitors

Any model you go with will be certified for XP while some also see the certification for Vista. Keep that in mind for when the next version comes out for seeing a later upgrade of OS.

The specifications on the Viewsonic model there are better then seen for the Viewdock model I have here that no one will be stocking by the looks of things for the 2005 model seen at ViewSonic VX1945wm 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor ViewDock for iPod® - 5ms, 700:1, WXGA+ 1440x900, USB, DVI, VGA, Black, Built-In Speakers at TigerDirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom