Monitor Advice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default Monitor Advice

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at these two monitors, but I'm not sure which one to buy.

Monitor 1:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...gaming-monitor

Monitor 2:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...screen-monitor

I'm not a content creator, so I'm wondering if the smaller sized IPS is worth the extra $100. 32 inches of screen real estate is looking reallllly appealing right now lol. (I was earlier looking at getting a 144 Hz monitor, but I really don't play enough fps games to justify buying one)

I'm a university student studying IT, (some may already know this) and so I tend to use a lot of space because of programming IDEs and documentation, plus some youtube playing in the background, and of course there's the word or pdf documents that explain the assignments themselves, etc.

But my absolute main concern, is that I cannot find a SINGLE review on the AOC 32 inch monitor at all. I've scoured the internet looking for them, and came up with nothing. Surely to ****, somebody owns this monitor somewhere. If any of you have better luck finding some reviews, please post links

Cheers,
Luke

Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Monitor Advice

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2612416

IPS will definitely be better than a VA panel, so really it's down to whether that's important enough for you to pay $100 more and get a smaller panel. 27" is still plenty big though IMO

In my experience AOC monitors have been cheap and crap lol, which is fine in some scenarios e.g. when I bought them for our despatch guys to use. But if it's gonna be your main monitor for everything, I'd say maybe go with something that'll have better build quality.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

Thing is, I already have a 24 inch TN panel, and I don't exactly wanna have an IPS / TN combo right next to each other, as it'll make the TN panel look reallllllly shiiiiit

That being said, the people on that site seem to think the AOC is value for money, though it cannot be height adjusted sad face.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Value for money for sure in that it's cheaper than you'd usually pay for a screen that size&res. But it's cheaper for a reason (light bleed mentioned, non adjustable, etc). So long as you're ok with the reasons why it's cheaper then hey go for it IMO you'll have warranty on it anyway if it breaks so I guess reliability isn't too much of an issue.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Ghost

I mean I'm not really planning on doing that much gaming on it, probably only EVE Online would be run on that monitor. All my other games would be on the 24 inch TN panel. (EVE is a special flower because it's GUI is customisable and has ****loads of stuff if you can fit it all in, meaning bigger screens = better in EVE)

So a little ghosting, eh not a big issue. Light bleed, I can't really see that being a massive issue, especially considering it was only mentioned as 1-2mm, and that's pretty bloody tiny when compared to a flippin whole 32 inches. As for non-adjustable height, I think every monitor I've bought so far has non-adjustable height lol. I'll adapt my workspace I guess if the need arises.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Ghost

Ended up buying the 32 inch monitor... hope it goes well.