Minimum upgrade required

Status
Not open for further replies.

punk

Banned
Hi guys,
I have an Intel celeron 466 Mhz, with 256MB Ram. I want to attach a DVD writer to it. One good friend of mine on tech-forums suggested that it was not possible because my processor speed was not enough.

Can anyone pls tell me if I just upgrade my processor from celeron 466Mhz to something greater, would it be enough to support the DVD writer. And if it is enough, will just replacing the processor would be sufficient or would I need to change the mother board itself. Plz let me know about the complicacies that may arise. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

PUNK

i think ur system would be quite capable of running the dvd burner as long as you had a good hard drive (with free space too). I still have my P3-700 with 256 ram and that could burn dvds at up to 16x and cpu usage was around 20% but you wont by able to encode stuff unless you are willing to sit for hours lol.. but for files and that yeah it should b fine.. make sure everythin has dma enabled though!

Hi,
Thanks buddy for your reply, that means my configuration is enough, as far as I have enough disk space right? Just one more thing, Can you suggest the best DVD writer too.

Regards,

PUNK

no worries, yeh you need enough space for temporary files and caching, i would highly recommend a benq dw1640 (i have one :D ) as i have never made a frisbee and never had a problem with it and it reads everything that i have put in it (dvd,cd media-wise) and has a very good buffer underun protection that actually works well (tried and tested hehe). Of course there are some other good brands which people will/can suggest but from the ones i've used i'd recommend a benq over a liteon and lg (latest ones).

Going for it

Hi buddy,
Based on your suggestions I am all set to buy one DVD writer. The only reason I was hesitant to buy it was because, there was a mention about the minimum configuration required, on the packing, it read minimum configuration required was pentium 4, and my configuration is, as you already know, is Intel celeron 466mhz.

Anyways thanks again man, I will definitely let you know about its performance, once I buy it.

Regards,

PUNK

yeh the minimum spec would be for dvd playback and encoding most likely, so unless you plan on watchin a lot of dvds through it (yeh you still should be able to but depends on your graphics card also) and encoding (your 466mhz cel wont do a great job at encoding/decoding) then there isnt really a reason why it shouldn't be suitable in your system (you've already said you have enough space, and 256mb ram is sufficient enough), cool hope it all goes well,
Stuart

thanks again buddy

Hi buddy,
Thanks man. I am planning of buying the DVD writer this weekend. Anyways I need it only for backups and I am not planning to use it as a DVD player to watch movies. I have a lot of stuff on my comp. I want to back it up. That's the only reason I need it.

I did not get what you meant by Encoding/Decoding, can you plz tell me something about it, And is 5 Gb on my C drive enough to support the DVD writer.

Regards,

PUNK

oh i meant like burning videos or movies etc. when you burn a *real* movie (full length) to a dvd-r 4.35GB disc then the program has to encode/compress/make it fit on the smaller disc size and you wouldnt really be able to do it with your cel466 as it would take hours and i wouldnt trust the output. But yeah a dvd-/+ r (write once) single layer is 4.35GB and the reason you need space is for temporary files before burning but if your backing up data only then ur backup program should just use minimal temp files and use it for buffer as the files are already on your computer. Hope this helps

just one last problem

Hi buddy,
Based on your suggestions I bought a BenQ DVD burner, and believe me, I could not have made a better choice. Thanks buddy.

Just one more problem. As you already know about my system config i.e. Intel celeron 466Mhz 256MB RAM, Windows XP. My machine hangs quite frequently, earlier when I had windows 98 I did not have this problem, but ever since I installed windows XP, it hangs very often and sometimes my USB mouse stops functioning. The most irritating part of this problem is, that this causes my dvd burning to hang, when it is almost 90 percent through.

Can you suggest me what the problem could be. I already posted this problem on this forum but could not get any satisfactory response, someone replied about reinstalling latest drivers. But I dont know what drivers.

Regards,

PUNK

yeah my BenQ is doing a great job, did u get the dw1640 or different one?
hmm your computer hanging could be from a lot of things... drivers (anything could be causing this), too many things running in background? umm is it a 'real' copy of xp? did you upgrade to xp from 98?
so when your burning a dvd it hangs and doesn't finish? or hangs and comes back later?
if it comes back later then you could burn your files that you need and do a fresh install of xp after wiping your comp.
it is definately not your cpu or ram because i also have a pII 333 and it would run xp quite nicely :) lol
sorry i don't have an answer at this point as many things could be causing the problem but any of the above might be the cause. to save hassle i think if you are able to install xp (not upgrade) then maybe that is the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom