Memory Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppilot

Baseband Member
Is there any reason why my 256 memory stick for my old Dell 733r will not fit into my new Dell 8400? I'm sure there's a logical reason but I don't know why. Thanks!

well that's not really enough information, but seeing how this is basically the 3rd question today where someone doesn't know what kind of RAM they can use I'm going to assume your older computer used SDRAM and you're trying to put it into a computer that uses DDR. All you gotta do is look at the RAM and the slots in the motherboard to find out if they'll fit. SDRAM has two notches you gotta line up while DDR only has one, slightly to the right of the middle. You could always use a program like CPU-Z to find out exactly what kind of RAM you are running.

u sure its not left of the center?

hehe

lol well I guess it depends on the way your motherboard is facing and which way you're standing over your motherboard :p

You are right, Nubius! I noticed that the notches don't line up. I guess my old "Hell Fighter" has SDRAM. I learn something new everyday on these boards. You guys/girls are awesom!!Gracias. :)

lol hell fighter...awesome... No problems man, glad we could help :D

EDIT: oh yeah and BTW I was somewhat incorrect regarding the slots, PC100 has only one notch, PC133 has two notches, and then anything above that in the DDR RAM catagory has only one notch...so yeah looks like they kinda went back and forth on the notches lol but still a PC100 stick's notch isn't going to line up with PC2100's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom