Memory loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slig

Beta member
Hey there.

Just recently I have discovered that my computer has lost 128MB of memory (should have 256MB). Now my computer literacy is limited so I'm very confused trying to think why it could have happened.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I was going to re-install XP but I think that's a little excessive at the moment.

Cheers
Slig :)

open the case, remove the memory and reinsert it, that should help, if not it might be fried

Did that but unfortunately the problem remains. If I have to buy some more, how do I know which to get?

My computer has two slots available I believe, but I don't know how much memory it can support.

usually it will say on the memory modue what size and type of memory it is. or you can look at the other memory modules to see what kind they are. when you buy new memory usually it is only important to know what type it is (pc100, pc 133, pc 2700,ect ) because most motherboard support 2-3 gigabytes of ram, more than most people want to spend on memory.

or if you cant be bothered with that just take your memory stick into the store and have the tech guy help you pick out another one. he may still ask you for the computer's make and model (DELL inspiron 2500, Compaq presario 2590, ect ) or motherboard's make and model (if it is a custom built pc).

also you can look at the computer manufacturer's or motherboard manufacturer's website and look up your model to see what it supports. (compaq.com, HP.com, dell.com, ect)

When you say it's not showing up, where is that? Is your bios not seeing it or just your OS?

do you have the mobo manual? it should tell you how much it supports, if not get the model## and go to the manufacturers website and you should be able to D/L the manual in either text, html, or PDF form (most places neways) and that will tell you how much it can handle, i personally prefer kingston, they are a great brand, and sometimes best buy has great sales on it, also, if you have 2 different brands of ram, check and see what the cache latency is, if you have 1 chip that is CL=3 and another that is CL=2, your mobo might not like it, or it just plain might not work

to find your mobo model (if you dont know it) use aida 32 its great, it will tell you everyting about your pc, and most of the time it has links to the manufacturers website

and about the onboard graphics, the computer will only use ram for video memory if your card doesnt have its own, which most do now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom