Memory Compatibility Issue for Dell PE 420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have a Dell PowerEdge SC420 server and I would like to add some more memory to it.

Can I buy any brand of DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz 240 Pin memory?
I thought ppl are selling kingston memory really cheap on Ebay, can I buy that ?

You should be able to but there's no guarantee. What you must watch though, it that the SC420 uses ECC RAM. This means that either the additional RAM must also be ECC or if mixed, ECC must be disabled in the bios (assuming the bios has that option).

You're best bet therefore is to buy ECC memory to match.

I am also having the same problem. I purchased some ECC Registered memory on eBay. It was actually Dell brand too. 400MHZ, PC2-3200, all that jazz. I have the SC420. When I installed the RAM, I got 4 beeps, and no video display. Is there something you have to do in the BIOS to get it to recognize the RAM? Or did I get bad ram? Uncompatable RAM?

I know it's registered, because I made the first mistake my bying unregistered ram, and it actually told me I needed registered RAM. I really don't know how I could have found more compatable RAM. So what am I doing wrong?

Here is a link to the eBay auction where I bought the ram:
1 GB DDR2 (wX512 PC2-3200 400MHZ ECC Registered CL3.0

Just in case the link doesn't work, here's the details from the auction:

DELL 1GB (2x512MB) PC2-3200 DDR2 400MHZ ECC Registered CL 3.0 Memory Module

Dell Infineon PART # HYS72T64000HR-5-A

2X512 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-11-F0

240 PINS

64x72

COMPATIBLE WITH PC2-3200 ECC COMPUTERS

EXCELLENT MEMORY FOR ALL MAJOR BRAND COMPUTERS: DELL, HP, FUJITSU, COMPAQ, ACER, ETC.

ADDING MORE MEMORY IS THE CHEAPEST AND EASIEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR COMPUTER PERFORMANCE!

dellmemory.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom