This is making me mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Ho

Baseband Member
I bought a Pioneer DVD-ROM drive for my computer. When I play a movie I can't hear the voices!! I can hear all the sounds but when there is a loud explosion or anything the volume drops. It mutes out loud sounds and voices!! I cannot figure out how it can do that or why. I have DMA enabled and I have the audio cable hooked up. I tried playing it with Windows Media Player and the Interactual player that came on the Star Wars DVD. Also, If I play a DVD for more than ten minutes using either player it will completely freeze my computer to where the mouse will not move. It will be like that for 30 seconds and then work for 10 seconds. It will switch back and forth like that even if I get player closed through the task manager. It will stop doing it after five minutes. After the computer freezes like I described above the DVD drive will dissapear from the the computer. It's not in the device manager or anything until I restart. When I restart it works again but it is in PIO mode. It's set to "DMA if available". I have to uninstall it in the device manager and let it reinstall to get int in DMA mode again. The cycle starts over next time the computer freezes. I cannot figure that out either. I am really desprate for help with this. I have asked everyone I can think of. I have tried all the tech forums and no one can help me. Anyone have any ideas?

Here are my system specs

ASUS A7V333 Mother Board (w/onboard sound)
AMD Athlon 1.8ghz CPU
512mb 333mhz DDR RAM
60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
6GB 5200 RPM Hard Drive
GeForce 4 ti 4800se 128mb Graphics Card
Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM Drive (52x CD)
Plextor 24/10/40x CDRW
Acer 40x CD-ROM
Windows XP Home Edition
Cable Modem

weird. very very weird. I suggest getting a replacement, as everything seems to be (from what you say) connected properly. Do you have a sound card and integrated sound? If you do, connect th audio to the internal sound instead of your sound card. If it works through internal sound, than it is your sound card. If you are already using integrated sound, then your drive is probably defective or your mobo is struggling with sound. In that case, you should buy a PCI sound card. They are inexpensive and open up a world of sound not reachable by integrated sound.

i think i had a problem similar to yours before. did you start getting the problems after you installed the dvd-rom? i think you have the drive set up in the IDE channel incorrect or you have the master/slave/cable select option set up wrong. try not using cable select and see what happens. also have the dvd-rom drive in another IDE that is not occupied with the hard disk. can you describe exactly how all of your drives are configured on the IDE channels? something like this is what i want to know:

IDE 1

cd-rom master
dvd-rom cable select

IDE 2

nothing
hard disk master

I have been considering getting a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I do not have a separate sound card now. The problem only happens with the DVD-ROM. Everything else works fine. The jumpers on the drive are set correctly. Here's how my drives are set up.

IDE 1:
60gb C: (Master)
6gb Junk Drive E: (Slave)

IDE 2:
Plextor 24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive (Master)
Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM (Slave)

ekÆsine said:
i think i had a problem similar to yours before. did you start getting the problems after you installed the dvd-rom? i think you have the drive set up in the IDE channel incorrect or you have the master/slave/cable select option set up wrong. try not using cable select and see what happens. also have the dvd-rom drive in another IDE that is not occupied with the hard disk. can you describe exactly how all of your drives are configured on the IDE channels? something like this is what i want to know:

IDE 1

cd-rom master
dvd-rom cable select

IDE 2

nothing
hard disk master

But if this was his problem he wouldn't be able to see any video. He can see video but no audio (plus the freezing issue)

What proggy are you using to play the DVD's? Do you have the audo cable going from your DVD drive to your sound card?

As I addressed in my original post: I can hear audio but whenever there is a loud sound or voices the volume level drops to where I can't hear it. I tried Windows Media Player and the "Interactual Player" that came on the Star Wars disc. I have the audio cable connected.

its sounds to me like you have a problem with your sound, not your dvd drive (ie: you never played dvds before, so you wouldnt have noticed it) it could be the fact that your onboard sound cant push enough power, or the fact that your speakers cant push enough power, in either case the lower frequency (guns, bombs, car engines) would overpower the higher frequency (music, bitches screaming, dog whistles) you get the idea right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom