Major Computer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slurpee222

Baseband Member
Heres the story, i was on my computer on saturday and it all of a sudden shut down, so i turned it back on, the lights went on for 2 seconds, the fan on for 1 second and it turned back off. I tried turning it on again and same thing, i was thinking it was thw power supply, so on sunday i bought a new one, installed it in and same problem. So i thought it might be the motherboard that was messed up. Today i bought a motherboard ASUS A7N8X, i assume i inserted all the cables right (couldnt see anything that wasnt in its right slot) . Now i turn it on and i hear a whining sound, with no lights lighting up no fans going or anything, just a whining sound that seems to be coming from the power supply but i am not sure, anyone have any ideas?

AMD athlon 1600+ XP, 712 MB DDR RAM, Soundblaster 5.1, GeForce3 64mb video card. Thanks for your help.

whineing sounds normally come from the hard drive. if you have a wd drive i bet thats it because they develope the whine after some time. possably you didn't put the power supply into the right connecter on mobo. Give specs of power supply. And what brand if its a deer oh man i feel sorry for you

Just a generic powersupply, i dont have it near me but thats all i can say, hmm maybe i did put the wrong connection into the mobo, i can try that, any other suggestions..?

seeing as how its generic it may be faulty out of the box. You need good quality. a 2 wat thermeltake psu would be better than a 500w deer because with the 2 w it wont turn on but since its good quality it wont blow up the deer will surely blow up and take other componints with it.
My guess ios the connection post back when you see where it is

power max atx switching power supply 350 watt max. i got a new motherboard and new power supply and still the same problem, there is a high-pitched whinning sound, no power at all. Could it be the cpu, or something else???

CPU's don't make sounds, Usually it's the HD but ya say ya got no power at all? No led on the Mobo, no fans spinning? Have ya tried using a meter to test voltage test points? This is a good one Dude!

Sounds like a connection problem.

First look to the PS switch from the [case] to the motherboard,(not your PS to the mobo) it is easy to put the connection on the wrong pins; if you do the ps might have juice but the mobo wont be getting the signal to start.

I checked the connection from the PS to the motherboard and yes all the connections seem to be right, there isnt one that doesnt seem connected properly. If the HD is screwed it wouldnt prevent the whole computer from getting power would it? No led lights or anything, voltage points i could try if i had a meter... Ive connected all this to my old motherboard and new motherboard, same problem, so im thinking it is another peice of hardware?

Ya might want to try the old take the Mobo out of the case, lay it on cardboard & see if it will fire up. If not then it's gotta be the PSU. A meter would be nice to test with. Ya might want to pick one up someday, Nice to have. BTW, the switch on the back of the case is on right?

Disconnect all unnessary hardware, that only MB, a RAM stick and cpu is back. Turn it on and see thats running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom