Low download speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
In the last few weeks or so, I have been experiencing major problems with Ventrilo, constantly lagging out. My ping will go from about 20 to 4000 in a matter of seconds. I also noticed that downloads have been generally slower, and my internet lags a bit as well. When doing a speedtest.net check, I would usually get about 18000 down, 2000 up. I just did a check now, and it started out at about 10000 download, and then about 2 seconds later it was down to 2000 down, with the same 2000 upload speed. I tried a TCP Optimizer the other day, which helped slightly, but did not fix my problem. Does anyone know what my problem could be?

In the last few weeks or so, I have been experiencing major problems with Ventrilo, constantly lagging out. My ping will go from about 20 to 4000 in a matter of seconds. I also noticed that downloads have been generally slower, and my internet lags a bit as well. When doing a speedtest.net check, I would usually get about 18000 down, 2000 up. I just did a check now, and it started out at about 10000 download, and then about 2 seconds later it was down to 2000 down, with the same 2000 upload speed. I tried a TCP Optimizer the other day, which helped slightly, but did not fix my problem. Does anyone know what my problem could be?

first thing i would do is do a virus scan or some sort like that.
if all checks ok, then atleast you can rule that out.

i have heard about alot of problems about people lagging during games while ventrilo client is open.
people will lag out of games while staying connected to ventrilo, or vice versa.

you could check ventrilo for updates, not sure if this may help, but worth a try.

and last but not least, it could just be your isp.
i have heard of nightmare stories where certain isp's would put out a weaker strength product in certain hours to encourage ppl to get off their pc's.
(this was years back tho in california.)

Could be different things. I assume you have already rebooted your modem and router, of course.

Try doing several batteries of pings and see if they are consistent. Choose a single location (I use google.com for mine), and ping it several times in a row. If you numbers vary, you have problems. My modem was the problem, as it finally died.

That's not to say that is the problem, but it will help you rule it out.

Okay, well my speedtests are back to normal now, at the usual 16000 down 2000 up, and downloads are fine, internet is fine, games are fine. It's just ventrilo that's lagging out, and I just don't know why. I've done complete reinstalls, tried changing settings and everything I can think of. I don't know why it just randomly started doing this to me, but it's VERY annoying.

Ok, I'm bumping this because I really need help. I've figured out that it's ONLY a problem with Ventrilo. My internet speeds are good. I have cleaned my computer of any spyware, cleaned up my hard drive, reinstalled Ventrilo, tried TCP optimizers, restarted my network, reinstalled my wireless card- everything I can think of, and nothing will help this problem. It just seems like Ventrilo suddenly drops my packets, and this happens on any ventrilo server about once every minute, and I completely lag out. The ports are forwarded, and my IP is static, and I've pinged google and internet was consistent. I'm on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (which Ventrilo is compatible with), and I've tried all different settings and options with it, changed it's priority, etc etc.

Does anyone have ANY ideas at all?

probly wont fix it but try running ventrilo by using ventrilo mix, makesure to download the ventrilo mix which includes 3.0, it has pretty much every vent and TS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom