Looking to receive Wireless Boradband from far away

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJboutit

Baseband Member
I want to try to see if I could receiv ea wireless internet connection at a at 2 to 3 miles away maybe a little more and still get good speed. What type of wireless ethernet card antenna and cable would I need to do this, I am going to try the in a city of 3 milliom. Do you guys thin it will work and it is worth a try. I looking for a good indoor antenna to try this with but I could put a antenna outside one like 20ft to 30ft hgih. Any help you guys can give is need thanks.

2-3 miles is very far for wireless, i wouldn't personally waste my time but hey, go for it and report back :D

I am try to get internet from on of the places that give wireless internet for free like starbucks and borders they are both in the same shopping center about 1 1/2 miles away. I am do not want to make anybody make when I do this. I am looking to setup a 12 to 18 dbi gain antenna to do this. So what equipment would I make to get like a 3mile range or maybe a little more max.

Sorry to say it, but you're dreaming.. two miles in a busy city is probably impossible given the amount of interference you'd have to deal with. Even if you lived on top of the highest point in the city and had direct line of sight to their access point, you probably still wouldn't make two miles.

BTW, I'm betting what you're planning is illegal.. places like Starbucks provide free wireless internet services for customers not freeloaders ;)

i read yesterday, on tomshardware they have a new wireless directional antenna. It is supposed to get better reception. But that may get you an extra hundred feet. The only thing you can do to get the free hot spot access is move closer. But you will never even get a quarter mile distance with 802.11. Good luck. If you figure out how, call me and we can open a business together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom