Laptop Questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

See Plus Plus

Baseband Member
I have been saving up for a laptop, and it is time for me to go out and buy one. However, I really need help on deciding certain factors.
It will be for school, and just about everything else. I need speed, memory, and of course, a wireless network. I am willing to spend around $1500 - 2000 for it.

I have some questions:

1. Planning to get a Dell - are there any other better brands?

2. 1 DIMM of 1 GB Ram is about twice as expensive as the 2 DIMM of 1 GB of Ram - is there a difference? Also, would I be fine with 512 MB instead?

3. Which is better - 60GB @ 7200 rpm or 80GB Ultra Ata Drive?

4. What would be a decent graphics card?

5. What type of wireless card & router would be best?

Thanks for all the help.

2. Because it costs more to manufacter that many RAM chips on a DIMM, I would imagine atleast:p

3. Depends on what the speed of the 2nd drive is..... Ultra ATA only means the transfer speed of data, whereas 7200rpm's is the spindle speed of teh drive. If the 60gb drive is ATA and teh 80gb drive is 72000rpm's then you only have to decide which capacity suits you, but I would imagine that the 80gb drive is probably 5400rpm's, so make sure you check and then decide on your needs;)

4. Well what are your graphics needs? Are you wanting to play DOOM3, etc.? If so then you'll need either a Mobility 9700 or FX5200 or better I think.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom