Laptop Monitor on the Fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

supremo

Beta member
I have an old Inspiron 8000 laptop and the LCD monitor is acting up. If you don't move the computer at all it looks great but if it gets bumped it'll flicker and sometimes the lines will go out or the colors will distort. Actually it can do any number of weird things that don't look right.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a bad connection in the hinges somewhere because if you adjust it (meaning: hit it sharply from the top or side) then it will go back to normal. I've attached it to the aux monitor out and don't have any problem with the video that way.

Does anyone know what this could be? If it is a bad connection, is this easily fixable or is it something that I'd have to replace the whole monitor to correct?

Thanks for your help!

The cable that connects the screen to the laptop won't be in the actual hinges. What you normally have is a flat ribbon cable that connects in the bottom of the screen to the system board.

I'm not sure about the connection at the screen but the connector on the system board is usually a plastic clip that can be popped open & then clamped down on the cable. It is possible that this has worked loose.

Checking it means dismantling the laptop obviously so be careful. Also the plastic clip & cable are quite delicate so don't go forcing anything about!

Yeah dude, your screen is done. I got the same problem, same EXACT problem. I bought my laptop rather second hand, and it had been dropped several times before it came into my posesstion. LCD's are rather suceptable to damage when dropped. I took my laptop apart and tightened all of the cables but to no avail. One thing that works sometimes is achanging the refresh rate. Lines will frequently go away. Your best bet would be to eBay for a replacement screen. Try and find a laptop with a blown mobo that you can buy for cheap from someone and take the screen from it. There is really no fixing it, other than buying a new one.

Be extra careful too when taking apart your laptop. Make a diagram on paper as to where stuff goes that you take out, and where screws go. The first time I reassembled my laptop, I had parts left over. It took me several hours to find their correct places.

Samm, Him: Thanks for the help!

I'm pretty sure I don't want to take it apart until I have a new screen for it. I'll check ebay for sure. That is if I'm feeling ambitious someday, otherwise I may just give up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom