Laptop Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
My mum came to me and said the laptop is not working, she showed me it wouldn't boot. I tried restarting in safe mode and it didn't boot then either, then I tried a repair installation but it wanted the administrator password which none of us knew (preset by Dell) so then I tried a reinstall. It went fairly well until it got to "12 minutes remaining" and got stuck. I tried installing to a different directory and same thing, got stuck but this time at 16 minutes. I thought it might have been corrupt file system so I went to reformat it and it got stuck at 70% so now I am suspecting the hard drive. the laptop is no longer in its warranty so now I have decided to get a new hard drive for it. I have put in a hard drive for the computer I am currently using but I am not farmiliar with the layout of laptops
I have tried taking it appart but I cannot figure out how to take its monitor off so I can get to the screws under it.
the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2650
are there any guides to the layout of this laptop?

stop what you are doing. to install a hard disk in a laptop does not require removing display screen i dont think. it should be as easy as some screw or release tab on the bottom. look at the manual for laptop on the internet for upgrade/ installation manual

Correct. Dell keeps things pretty simple when it comes to hard drive installation. I have a 5100 and the hard drive is right above the PCMCIA slot. Simply unscrew the tray and pull out the drive. You have a fairly new laptop...layout should be somewhat similar.

-Mike

well on mine the PCMCIA slot is above what I think might be the hard drive (it hasn't got a tag so I dunno if it is) but I cannot get to it directly, it has an air grill thingy in the way and you cannot take it off seperately.
is a laptops hard drive the same size as a PCMCIA card?

that link only works in the US, I'm in Australia
well anyway I did find where the HDD was, it was actually at the front in a slide-out tray.
I should be getting a new HDD soon
thx anyway

like ekÆsine said STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING B4 you do something you dont want to!

i have the inspiron 2650 and the hard drive bay is on the front edge

under the three green lights (powersupply/hdisk/battery)
there is one screw to undo to get it out

but deffinitly check out the user manual before doing it you have to shut of your computer take out your battery antistatic..etc etc
and i dont know anything substantial

hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom