Jaks Major Ground breaking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Jaks Problem

Jak has a problem, but he's too shy to post so I'm doing it for him.

He wanted to buy some PC2100 RAM because that's all his motherboard can support.

I suggested he buy PC3200 RAM because even at valueRAM with 3-3-3-8 Timings it should simply underclock to PC2100 speeds with 2-2-2-5 timings (thats how it was on my kingston valueRAM, 3-3-3-8 at PC3200 or 2-2-2-5 at PC2100)

The PC2100 of 512mb he was looking at was $95 whereas the PC3200 RAM I showed him was $65

His board should simply underclock and read the SPD table on the RAM and put it to the appropriate speed and timings correct?

I just didn't want to tell him to buy it and have it not work. I'm 99% sure it would simply underclock to meet the PC2100 speeds, but I'd hate for that 1% to bite him in the ass due to my advice.

Just wanting some confirmation here

that edited by tag... really didnt make it any less obvious that this was about a certain someone... hahahaha

well i think you are right... i put some pc2700 ram in on an old mobo and that underclocked it down to pc2100... so it should work!

lol hygor...shhhhhh :p

EDIT: lol thanks for the confirmation though hygor....btw ::hands you $50:: You didn't see nuttin! :p

DyNaStY336 said:
im running underclocked PC3200 at the moment.

Seconded. My Mobo can support PC3200 however, but it's still underclocked to match my FSB...

Aright excellent, that's pretty much what I figured, but like I said I didn't want to suggest to him he get PC3200 and for whatever reason it not work out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom