invalid boot diskette on swapping HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

muradtalukdar

Baseband Member
Hi Guys,
I've taken HDD out of a machine that fried its power supply and put into a known working machine by swapping the HDD. Whenever I try and boot though I get a Invalid Boot diskette error and go no further. Cannot see the c drive at all at command prompts etc. I'm sure the cables are fine.
I'm trying all the different settings for the jumpers but none seem to work.
It is a samsung 4.Gb drive that I'm trying it with into a Gateway win98 machine.
Now I can't seem to find the right settings for the IDE config with which to set it as the auto detect doesn't seem to work.
The samsung is six years old but seems fine...maybe it got fried too?
Cant find the docs anywahere and the jumper settings are on the drive anyway.

Don't follow you kopenhagen, it seems to me that the BIOS can't even detect it as it says in the IDE CONFIG that nothing is installed under the Master? What's the process through BIOS mean?

The primary (and only) was bootable when it was in the old machine before the PS fried. When that happened it burnout the 12 pin connector on the mainboard and I'm wondering if it has done something to the HDD power pins/connector too? Doesn't look like it though.
Thanks mate.

Okay, here's something.
If the drive doesn't spin at all when it's powered up does that signal something bad?

Thanks MB you posted at the same time as me before--seems like the HDD is toast as it won't even spin so thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom