Intermittant boot up/Hang/Freeze issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviesnc

Beta member
ok here goes... I built my PC a couple of years ago (AMD 2400+, 512 MB PCW2700 Ram, 2 x 120Gb HDD, RW+ DVD burner and numerous USB additions. Now, the problem is this.

The PC does some or all of the following:

1) Freezes during the night (I have housekeeping jobs like anti-virus and spyware detection, as well as file backups (using 'second copy' - great piece of S/Ware - 5yrs old, and no need to update it)

2) Overheats, even for an AMD - 55C is not uncommon
3) VBat (?) exceeds parameters, but seems not to harm the PC

4) This is the killer - SOMETIMES, I can reboot fine, sometimes I have to switch the PC off at the mains for 5-10 minutes, and sometimes I have to switch off at the mains AND press the reset button to (soft-boot ?) 2-4 times before the PC will stop hanging in the boot phase

The PC always gets going in the end, but sometimes the PC clock is out by a few hours, days or even years

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be ? (I'm thinking temperature, but am open to suggestions)

Cheers - Nick D

If the clock is off, you should try replacing the CMOS battery expisally with an old PC

Could be corrupting what the BIOS is storing

Sounds like a tall order, any idea how i can export the bios settings (I don't have a printer), as I think this might be wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom