Intel D915PBL Motherboard question/issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usmaak

Solid State Member
Hi,

This is my first homebuilt rig. I have an Intel D915PBL motherboard with a 3.0 processor. I've been very pleased with the motherboard, except for one nagging problem that has me a bit concerned.

As this processor runs hot for me, I want to use Intel Desktop Utilities to monitor the temperature of my system. I had it all installed and everything was up and running, and then I started getting an error message that said:

"Connection to hardware sensors failed. Click YES to restart application, or click NO to close application. If problem persists after restart, please reboot your system."

I only get it every once in a while when I have the desktop utilities open, but it is kind of annoying. So, I started to look into it a bit more. The name of the service that runs the hardware checking is IDUServ.EXE. I looked in the event viewer and noticed that there were several instances where it was starting and stopping. So, I rebooted and watched for it in task manager. Sure enough, when first booting, it kept appearing and disappearing. After about five appearances/disappearances, it stays put, and the desktop utilities works. If I leave the utilities open though, every once in a while, the connection disappears again, though the service does not actually stop (as seen through the event viewer).

I contacted Intel, and they ran me through a bunch of hoops that didn't help one bit. Finally, they gave me instructions to follow for reformatting my machine, reinstalling my OS, the chipset driver utility, and other drivers. They said that with Intel boards, order of installation is extremely important. I followed their instructions to the letter. For a while, I had the exact same problem, then all of a sudden (and I'm really not sure why), the service stopped its starting and stopping. I still have problem with the desktop utilities program losing its connection every once in a while though. I only notice it when the desktop utilities is actually active. When the system tray is sitting there, I don't get any error messages, but I also don't know if it is actually monitoring my system.

I gave MBM 5 a try, but it didn't work with my board. I gave Everest a try, and it did work.

I've searched the internet from top to bottom, and I can't find any reference to the error message I'm getting. I also can't find much on IDUServ. Intel's tech support seems less than clueless about this. They're now recycling the instructions that gave me for uninstalling and reinstalling the OS.

Has anyone had any experiences with this issue or anything similar with this MB or any Intel MB? My biggest concern is that this is a hardware issue with the MB, and that it needs to be replaced. This MB is only about 2.5 weeks old. I don't want to have to take everything out again. I had a hell of a time getting the heat sink on correctly, and I would hate to have to go through that again.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Like I said, this has been a great MB so far, except for this issue.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom