Installing new Soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alrighty, I'm getting a new soundcard. What I need is some general pointers or tips on how to install it. I know, put it in the PCI slot, but any bios configuration? Any additional connectors? Any help appreciated.

you want to disable your onboard sound before you install this add in card

other than that, just plug it in and install drivers and shiznit

A friend said to make sure I plug in the audio cord from the DVD drive, but there are no audio cords coming from either of my drives, just IDE and power, is the audio transferred through the IDE? Should I worry about any audio connectors, or just put in the slot and go?

You need an audio cable if you wish to play audio CDs on the computer. I'm not sure whether they are required for DVDs or not as I don't both watching dvds on my system.

If you look at the rear of the optical drive, just to the left of the IDE connector, you will see another small 4 pin connector (some drives have 2 different connectors for compatibility with older style cables)

There will also be 3/4 matching connection points on the sound card (or on mobo if sound is integrated), marked aux, CD etc.

There cable your friend mentioned goes between the CD drive & sound card (connect to the socket marked 'CD' on s/c)

Disable Onboard sound from BIOS although sometimes this isn't nessasary but to be safe, disable it.

Plug the soundcard into the slot, bootup and install the drivers.

Test soundcard - good? works. np's.

I play CDs on my system fine and I don't have the audio cable plugged in. :confused: Just disable your onboard in BIOS and that should be enough.

Cable is only if u want to plug your headphones/speakers in the CD-ROM device. I don't use the cable and audio CD's play fine in Winamp/WMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom