IBM 560 Z wont restart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi_in_japan

Beta member
I have an IBM 560Z laptop that was given to my friend. She asked me to get it working for her. I loaded win XP pro into it and it was all working fine. (after installing a new Hard drive)
The problem is that 1 week later, she tried to start it with the lid closed (side on switch). Now it wont start at all. I used a boot disk.. I can see the hard drive and its contents, but it wouldnt start. So I reformatted the hard drive (Hitachi 30GB) and reloaded Win XP pro. When it comes to its first reboot (during installation) it fails again and says
"A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED. PRESS CTL ALT DEL TO RESTART"
What do i do from here to get it to start from the windows program.
I have even updated the Bios thinking it may be the problem.
I have gone into Bios setup and tried to force it to boot just from the hard disk also. Still no go...

So if there is anyone out there who can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.:D
Thanks

It could be a hard drive issue, go to the manufacturers website and look for some diagnostic tools to see if your drive is OK.

You will have to download the files and run them, they usually create a bootable floppy disk that runs an intense check on the disk. That is the best bet at the moment.

that comp prob came with windows 98. on a 30 gb i would not stick win xp on it. you need all the room you can get on that sucker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom