I think anti spam program screwed up my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hi, This old PC was working great untill I downloaded a antispam program and it screwed everything up. Sorry but I don't remember name of program, I can maybe find it on google search if it makes any difference. I got rid of it but the PC still has problems. It was so bad I formated and reinstalled 98 and it didn't help. Now my spyware killer program don't work, the norton 2002 stops working and has message something about run time problem, PC is really slow, programs don't respond, mouse is all jerky when you move it. I put in my extra CPU tonight and didn't make a difference, I manualy updated norton and scaned it and nothing came up. Any of you smart people out there have any ideas as to what is going on? Could it be DIMM stick is bad? Before I could have norton scan going in background and keep right on doing whatever I was doing and it didn't slow down at all, now when more than one thing is going on at a time I fall asleep waiting for things to happen. I noticed that when mouse is jerky the hard drive also seems to start and stop real quick, I mean the mouse stops for a spit second when hard drive is quiet for the split second. All I know is I am not a happy camper right now, I try to improve things and end up screwing things up all the time, I am about ready to take this thing and run it over with my suburban a few times to put it out of its misery. It is a PIONEX with M5ALA ver 2.0 board, AMD K6-2\500 CPU, A 12 and a 6 gig quantum bigfoot hard drives [12 is the main one], 2 64 and one 32 sticks of PC100 DIMM, hooked up with cable through a fast ethernet 10/100 card to a router card in our other main PC, and it has win98 OS. I just ordered a 128 PC100 DIMM stick tonight to get more memory and now also to see if it fixes my problem. Or is my problem another M5ALA board going bad? [3rd board I have had in this thing] I realize that this is just a bunch of old junk to some of you but it is all I can afford to play with right now, and wife will kill me if I even look inside of the newer systemax we have LOL. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Tom W

*maybe you're running out of RAM
*maybe some device is causing errors
right click on my computer, properties, gevice manager - don't know if it's in a tab labelled "hardware" in Win98 - and see if any devices have an exclamation mark next to them
*maybe the old comp isn't processing enough data at a time

Hi, I have checked all that, I had alot more stuff on it before the problems started and it said system was about 75% free yet so I am sure its not a ram problem unless like I said maybe a DIMM stick is screwed up, The 2 64 sticks were new but the 32 was used, I have had problems with DIMM sticks before in it. I took it all down and put the old Packard Bell back up because someone wants to check it out to buy it from me, this old P-B PC is half the power of the PIONEX but it always works and is real stable, The PIONEX junk has had problems from day one, like I said it was working better than it ever did and we just upgraded to faster cable and I tried a antispam deal and it started having major problems after that. I had wiped it clean the best I could and reinstalled 98 from scratch and it still was messed up, the more I used it the worse it got. I was wondering if it was a problem with the router card in other PC but this old Packard Bell works just fine. I could try taking out all the DIMM and trying them one at a time to see if any are junk. The last time the PIONEX died all the DIMM was also shot, or maybe it would be easyer to put DIMM in the Packard Bell and see if they work. Sorry for the long posts, that PIONEX is jinxed but I am learning alot from it, mainly it is a touchy dam thing and when its working to leave it alone. LOL. Tom

Hi All, I found out what my problem was with this PC. I had 2 hard drives, main was a 12 gig quantum bigfoot and secondary was a 6 gig bigfoot, anyway the 12 gig hard drive is all messed up, all kinds of bad sectors and all that good stuff. Anyway I took it out and moved the 6 gig up to main and it has never worked so fast. I am begining to think those quantum bigfoots are not very good hard drives, 3rd one that died on me in a couple years. TomW

I never liked Quantum drives, I had one myself that died on me, and I got it replaced with a 40GB Seagate drive
the Seagate drive has worked much better for me, and I have personally only ever heard of one Seagate drive die on somebody.
if you want to replace the hard drive, replace it with a Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom