i m new and i need some help~

Status
Not open for further replies.

googi

Beta member
i was trying to install a second hdd on my brother's pc. his first one was a hitachi 40gb (7k250) and the new one is a maxtor 80gb. both are ata drives. i connected them both correctly (i followed the instructions) and turned the pc on. it took very very long to load the bios...(i thought it maybe checking the new drive....so i didn't bother..) and it started to say can't find the OS!! i restarted it and still got the same thing.

so i unplugged everything, and just connected the old 40gb hdd...it wouldn't load into winxp!!! i tried flashing the bios, dling the hitachi hdd utility to check for faults and stuff.....and when i restarted after using the hitachi utility, it loaded into winxp.

so i burned all the essentail docs and restarted it again, hoping it wold laod just fine...but that ddin't happen~

when i inspect the hdd, i fould 1 of the chip is kinda burned, and the legs of that chip are like powederly

...i know this is bad...but i don't know where did i go wrong..

so here's teh question:

is my hdd dead for good?

can i bring to the tech guys and see if theycan retrive back the data??

wow...that sounds a bit too advance to me...
do u have any websites for tutorials? coz i figure i can save some money and learn a bit more if i diy :p

thanz for the reply too~

googi said:
wow...that sounds a bit too advance to me...
do u have any websites for tutorials? coz i figure i can save some money and learn a bit more if i diy :p

thanz for the reply too~

Different on every harddrive. No tutorials, most of the people here do not know what I am talking about.

o....ok...then i'll havta bring it to the tech guys then...

but it's good to hear the data can be retrieved...

do u know what might have gone wrong???

Just buy the exact same drive off eBay or somewhere second hand, unscrew and unplug the circuit board on both drives, and take the PCB of the new drive and screw it into the broken drive and plug it in. It should work if it's just the circuit board.

A PCB swap should be fine. Just power up the bad drive with the new PCB - if the drive comes up then you should be fine. If the drive starts knocking, then pcb is probably not compatible or internal chip may have also blown. On some occasions there is info on the PCB board that contains info that is directly tied to the HDD, so a swap will not work and may cause more damage. The only thing to do then is to replace the chip and reflash the ROM. If you have a chip extracting tool, and the right soldering equipment, you could very well do this, too. Use an exact replica of the HDD, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom