I fear this gamer has made a terrible mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic~Fury

Baseband Member
I just purchased a Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache Serial Ultra Series ata/150 sata hard drive. I just remembered a while back that someone had told me that serial ata drives are bad for gamers...did I screw myself in getting this drive? The sales assoc. at the place from which I bought this drive told me that the sata/150 is even better than an eide ata/100 or 133. He said eides are bad and not something a gamer would want to get.

?????

sata drives are great if your motherboard supports it. most of the satas out there have a ata133/sata bridge and and not truly sata drives though. i think the raptors are the true satas. thats a good hd though and should work great for gaming. just make sure to keep the floppy disk with drivers so when you reformat you wont be in trouble.

Lol, the Hard Drive speed doesn't matter too much for games once you're playing them (other than things like level loading and initial startup).

I'm a gamer, and I'm still using my 7200 EIDE HD and am very happy with it.

But yes, the SATA HD's are faster than IDE and should give you better performance in game loading and level loading. But as far as overall game performance, HD read/write speed doesn't affect much. That's controlled majorly by your cpu/ram/vid card

I dont think you made a mistake. My hard drive helped improve load time and system performance with files. Shouldnt affect game performance too much as the above had said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom