Hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

oubobcat4

Solid State Member
Anyone know how to disable hyperthreading through the BIOS? its really killing the speed of my processor since not alot of things use HT. its a 3Ghz processor running at about 1.5Ghz. my friend told me to disable HT to get more outta my P4.

uhhhh....If it is running at 1.5GHz, then it isnt a HT problem. When you right click "My Computer" and click on "Properties," what does the CPU frequency get listed as.

I noticed as well that you are using a laptop, some laptops have CPU throttling, where if you arent using anything CPU-intensive, it will slow itself down to conserve power.

1.Download and Run CPU-Z
2. Give us a screenshot of it
3. Download SpeedFan
4. Max out the fans
5. If the problem persists, get an AMD.

5. If the problem persists, get an AMD.

[SARCASM]
Yes, because getting an AMD solves every problem. "Whoa, my computer has a virus, I should have gotten AMD!!"
[/SARCASM]

hyperthreading cannot slow your computer down. HT allows multi threaded apps to run multiple threads simeltaneously so speeding it up. If an app does not take advantage of HT then it will just run in a single thread and would execute the same as if your processor did not support HT - so turning it off would be no advantage.

I would suggest that the problem is more likely that you have down-clocked your processor or front-side-bus. When you say it is running at 1.5Ghz where does this figure come from? does it just feel slow?

lol @ Elbatrop1

MAybe he is saying it is running at 1.5ghz since he looked at the task manager and it is maxxing out at 50%. When in fact it is running at 100%.

Don't turn off HT. I have noticed it makes a difference when running lots of things at once. However it is possible to turn it off in the BIOS usually, but apparently Windows won't like it.

HT basically makes your one processor act like two. Allowing twice the amount of threads to go through. I think your friend dosent know what he is talking about. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom