How's this sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
ok, i've made some changes to the computer setup I want. I've decided on a 2600+ Athlon Mobile XP that I will eventually overclock, but at first run at normal speeds. I just want to know if the RAM I have chosen will be good for overclocking this particular setup. Also will the heatsink/fan I chose work good? Here's a link to my newegg wishlist, here.

where's your graphics card? Are you planning on using the on-board video?

Why do you want to overclock if web surfing and starcraft is all you want to do?

To answer your question, PC 2700 RAM runs at 333MHz, your FSB speed is at 266MHz. So that RAM will be able to handle the speed if your able to overclock the FSB. Also, you might want to check ABIT's website to check cmpatibility issues with your chosen RAM module. :)

Heatsink looks fine to me.

Actually a 2600+ runs at 333, same as your PC2700 RAM. So overclocking will not be possible. And just a heads up ta Windows XP does suggest that you have a 500Mhz or better. So if you encounter any weird OS problems, your CPU might be the cause.

He has a Mobile processor, it's FSB runs at 266MHz. The standard Barton runs at 333MHz. Look at the list. :)

My personal opinoin is that the mobile chip is better.

keep in mind that i personally, have not done a lot of research on the mobile. But it looks like there are a lot of people overclocking the $h*t out of them. (up past 3200+ speeds)

ccskorn- in light of my reading up alittle bit on the mobile processor, i would recommend that you go for some PC3200 RAM. It looks like a lot of people are overclocking their processors to 200*12 or better. if you're able to get the FSB to 200, you'll be able to utilize all 400MHz of PC3200 RAM. PC3200 may cost a little more now but it's cheaper than buying PC2700 then upgrading to the PC3200 later. :)

the only reason I'm getting the board with onboard video is so I can use the computer while saving up for a good graphics card

also, I'm not going to just play starcraft, I want to play farcry, unreal tournament, half-life 2, doom 3, battlefield vietnam.... I feel like I've been deprived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom