How do i have 2 hardrives and get them both to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trax

Banned
I just bought a brand new 120gb hard drive, but i also have my old 40 gb one that has lots of valueable things on it

can somone tell me how i can setup and use 2 hardrives

You need to get a multiple IDE cable and set one of the HD's to master and the other to slave. Using cable select is an option for the 2nd hard drive as well. If your OS doesn't read the HD's properly after doing this you may be required to select them in the BIOS. Instructions should come with the HD on how to set the jumpers but if there is no manual then do a search online for your HD and you'll be able to find the info on how to set them up properly.

This is a good start.

ide cables

Most if not all mbd's have 2 connections for a possible 4 devices.
One end connects to the mbd.The other end is Master,the center connection is slave.The jumper instructions should be on the HD label.
I recomend Hd's as Primary and Secondary masters and cdroms etc as slaves.But it's only my way.:)
By default the mbd should use autodetect (recommended)
You will see the results as your monitor brightens at startup.
The Pause Break key will give you more time to read it.
Use enter to continue.
Good luck.