How come the PS3 & Xbox 360 vid cards are better than PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I've been looking at specs of the PS3 and Xbox 360 and their vid cards are like 3-4 times better than an 6800U OC... i mean, why doesn't nvidia/ati make PC vid cards, if they have the technology??? And how come the PS3 operates on 128-bit CPU? why are we still stuck at 32?

Yeah, I saw the specs a while ago. They are sssoo FAST!!! An dalso the graphics, DAMN! Seriously, they should make that technology for computers. And what you mean by "because of money"?

their vid cards arent better...........take another look at the specs, matter of fact post them here, your missing one HUGE difference

Game consoles are not designed to be compatible with thousands, even millions of programs, lines of code, and engines. Because of this, they can create whatever the heck they want, and game developers just follow them around. Try that with PCs, and you have the requirements for software changing every year... and all previous software becoming obsolete. Pretty much, you wouldn't be able to use things like the earlier P4's, or Athlon XP's.

Also, consoles are completely integrated, arn't they?

still missing one huge difference---------------TV, consoles are setup for TV output only, check the resolution and bandwidth of a TV versus a high end monitor and PC vid card, TV isnt even freakin close

as I recall the Xbox360 has a integrated vid system with 10mb of VRAM...........is that all that impressive?Check the vid bandwidth too, sure its got lots of graphics pipelines, so what, its like running on a PC@640x480x24bit color with a huge dotpitch, even HDTV being as good as it is compared to reg TV its nothing compared to high end PC vid equipment

The real question that should be asked, if the Xbox360 has 1 teraflop of computing power, why dont the current crop of PC's????

The G70 and the R520 are suppose to be more powerful than their console counterparts the RSX and R500. So don't worry. There are some specs that leaked on the internet but some of those are suspect.
Better to wait for official word.

Here are the speculated specs for the G70:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2206

horndude said:

The real question that should be asked, if the Xbox360 has 1 teraflop of computing power, why dont the current crop of PC's????

There are probably workstations that are as or more powerful than the Xbox 360. Remember the Xbox 360 and PS3 are "next-gen" consoles and indeed PS3 does use next-gen tech like the cell processor and Blu-Ray which will probably be integrated into PCs sooner or later. They are just debuting in consoles first.

Here are the speculated specs for the G70:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2206
That's the same one gaara posted with the R520 speculated specs.......I believe them to be bogus, a 6800Ultra is 35gb/sec, this new card is only 38gb/sec? My GT OC'd to 430/1150 is probably 36 or close to 37gb/sec so that really wouldn't be a whole lot of improvement, granted there are more pipelines

The PS3 is supposed to have 550MHz core speed, those specs you and gaara list only show 430MHz which isnt impressive at all and one article I read said "You can get an idea of how fast the G70 will be by the PS3 core of 550Mhz" so I honestly hope the G70 is atleast 500MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom