Hmm which Raid set to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther5060

In Runtime
Which do you guys think will get me better performance?

Four Seagate 120GB SATA HDDs and a controller card with all 4 in a raid 0 array for approx. 400$

or...

Two Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA HDDs and a controller card with both in a raid 0 array for approx. 380$

I know that the WD Raptors are excellent drives, but do they have enough bandwidth to equal or be greater than 4x seagate hard drives? And yes, I need the fast storage space because i am impatient :)

either way my backups for important files will go to

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200RPM 16M HDD for 173$

this system will be a back up server, major video editing, gaming, and file transfer rig.

I would take the seagates but it woouldnt be RAID 1 or 0 with that many drives, very complex.

Personally ditch the maxtor drive as well, if you want something for backup, the maxtor will go burn, literally.

get the 4 seagates, hell my 2 seagates are only 3mb/s slower than 2 raptors according to sis sandra.

get the seagates. they r well built, and u dont need to have a 10,000 RPM drive unless ur really impatient.

not if its only 3 mbps... in a 2v2

yes you can have 4 hdds make up a raid 0 array :)

and yes, the maxtor is a heat machine but that is why it is cooled by 2 HDD fans and a case fan :p

Stick with two 74Gb 10,000RPM WD Raptors, RAID 0 is not a very large performance gain in real world performance and 10,000RPM drives will have about half the access time of the 7200RPM drives to begin with.

Unless space is an issue, the Raptors will perform much faster.

Read this for a look at how RAID 0 really performs.

the raptors only have half teh access time when paired with a promise controller if they arent its abit slower. the seagates would do a fast job and give more space :)

Go with the Seagate Barracuda's @7200RPMS with NCQ.
These drives are freakin' fast and quiet. I've got a 250G & 400G as additional storage. I've got (2) 74 Raptors set up in a RAID 0 with very nice performance. But, for you, grab a couple of 250G and RAID 0 them. That's 500G of storage and you system will fly. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom