hi-density ram causing a problem with older system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
thanks to all of you who replied to my ram difficulties with my old dell dimension xps T...

some new info has come to light regarding high-density chips with my older system. the specs for the new PC100 ram i purchased appear to be compatible with my system, but is it possible that since they're 256mb sticks that they are too hi-density?

i cannot get them to work, and want to rule out any compatibility issues before i chalk it up to bunk ram.

To tell if the new modules are high density just count the chips on the 256MB module. If there are only 8 black chips then it is a high density module and you can not use it in your system. It is not supported. If there are 16 black chips on the module then it is a low density module and will work just fine.

Because of the age of the system there is no BIOS update that will fix the density issue.

CrucialLabs said:
To tell if the new modules are high density just count the chips on the 256MB module. If there are only 8 black chips then it is a high density module and you can not use it in your system. It is not supported. If there are 16 black chips on the module then it is a low density module and will work just fine.

Because of the age of the system there is no BIOS update that will fix the density issue.

thanks for the info... there's 16 chips, so it should work i guess. when i enter setup mode the computer is recognizing the 256mb chips, but for some reason it's not working beyond that.

however, the information in the auction from which i won these says they're hi-density... :question:

HAVOC2k5 said:
Hey, CrucialLabs... What do you think about Corsair XMS Pro Series DDR400? Good? Bad? Ugly?

You dont ask someone who works for crucial on advice for a competitors brand of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom