Help in Understanding Maximum Shared GPU Memory

Vendetta1

Baseband Member
Actually I placed this query with Gigabyte and they replied me, but I am not native English speaker so please clarify me what they meant.

My Question:
I want to purchase GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard, but I want to understand one thing. The graphic specifications of this board says that "maximum shared memory is 512 MB" what this means? I rely on Intel HD Graphics and want to use them. Even If I have 16 GB RAM then this motherboard is locked to only allow 512 MB to be used by Intel HD Graphics or this can be increased? Please assume that I have no dedicated Graphics card for the purpose of this question. Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte reply:
The max shared memory on channel MB can be set up to 512MB. This is a general spec from Intel GPU and you can also see this spec on other competitor's MB such as ASUS H170.

However please note that even though the shared memory of the onboard GPU is limited to 512MB, system still can occupy the rest of onboard RAM size if needed.

My Question:
Thanks for your answer. To clarify it means that if an application needs 2 GB of GPU memory, then in that case this motherboard will allow to fetch this amount of memory for Intel HD Graphics from ram?

Gigabyte reply:
Take 3DMark such kind of GPU benchmark S/W as an example:

When the S/W requires more RAM, it will occupy the RAM size from system RAM automatically.

Does their reply means that Intel HD Graphics can share memory from system ram more than of 512 MB, if required? If yes, then why they use word "maximum shared memory" if more memory can be shared? Further what is the solution for applications who initially do not start on seeing that GPU memory is 512 MB which is lower then their requirement? How can we tell those applications that this memory can be increased at the later stage when required?
I hope you people understand what I wanted to say. Thanks.

Actually I placed this query with Gigabyte and they replied me, but I am not native English speaker so please clarify me what they meant.

My Question:
I want to purchase GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard, but I want to understand one thing. The graphic specifications of this board says that "maximum shared memory is 512 MB" what this means? I rely on Intel HD Graphics and want to use them. Even If I have 16 GB RAM then this motherboard is locked to only allow 512 MB to be used by Intel HD Graphics or this can be increased? Please assume that I have no dedicated Graphics card for the purpose of this question. Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte reply:
The max shared memory on channel MB can be set up to 512MB. This is a general spec from Intel GPU and you can also see this spec on other competitor's MB such as ASUS H170.

However please note that even though the shared memory of the onboard GPU is limited to 512MB, system still can occupy the rest of onboard RAM size if needed.

My Question:
Thanks for your answer. To clarify it means that if an application needs 2 GB of GPU memory, then in that case this motherboard will allow to fetch this amount of memory for Intel HD Graphics from ram?

Gigabyte reply:
Take 3DMark such kind of GPU benchmark S/W as an example:

When the S/W requires more RAM, it will occupy the RAM size from system RAM automatically.

Does their reply means that Intel HD Graphics can share memory from system ram more than of 512 MB, if required? If yes, then why they use word "maximum shared memory" if more memory can be shared? Further what is the solution for applications who initially do not start on seeing that GPU memory is 512 MB which is lower then their requirement? How can we tell those applications that this memory can be increased at the later stage when required?
I hope you people understand what I wanted to say. Thanks.

by max 512mb memory, it means that is has that much of dedicated memory. This means that this memory is automatically reserved from the ram.

This may help but I can't assure that it works because I never tried it: How to Increase Intel HD Graphics Dedicated Video Memory

I don't know much about intel graphics but by what Gigabyte said; yes, if the program needs more ram, then more ram will be occupied.

A downside to occupying more ram is that it would result in less ram available to use for applications and the os.

Back
Top Bottom