Help Please... Laptop graphics problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich_gu

Beta member
Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5100... The display is a bit corrupt, by that I mean there are lines all over the screen and it seems to flicker.

I have taken it to a repair guy, but he said I needed a new graphic card, which would cost £400! Aaarghh! :( (I think this is because laptop graphics card are soldered onto the motherboard?) (ALso, according to my manual the graphics card is a GeForce4 440 Go - incidentally I haven't found out where I can order one of these)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to try to fix it myself...

I thought I would take a look myself but am also having difficulty opening up the casing.

Cheers

Richard

try doing the easyest thing first.. updating your graphics dirvers. u can prolly find them at toshibas website in support section.

£400, damn. add some more money and you can get brand new laptop.

doesnt seems like graphic card's problem though, your panel might require replacement, and that guy will replace your panel for £100, keeping rest in his poacket telling u that he has changed the Graphic card. (which u wont be able to tell obvioulsly).

get toshiba's support, as they'll help u out more preciously somehow.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the drivers before but wit no luck. Unfortunately it's not the screen either as when I add an external monitor the same problem occurs.

I will give toshiba support another call though.

Thanks again,

Rich

I had similar problem with Toshiba Portege.

I changed the Video Card and same problems again.

It was the MotherBoard......failure...
it cost AUD700.00 to change it.
----

which would cost £400! Aaarghh!
Whats This "J"...? ? ? ?
is this Jieni
or a Jdollars,
Jamaika Coins?

Nightmare! My Toshiba uses a GeForce4 440 Go! for graphics but I think the whole m/b needs to be replaced in my case also - hence the £400. I could not find the GeForce board for sale on the net, so I assume it's not available seperately or is welded onto the m/b or something!?!

I wouldn't buy a Toshiba again - Far to expensive and complicated to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom