(help!!!) hard drive is being read 90gbs less than it is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
hi all. i've got a western digital 120gb hard drive partitioned in nfts. I've installed it in a USB External case which states that it supports drives up to 400gb.

When I plug it into my Windows XP based laptop (a toshiba sat, 2.6ghz Celeron 2003), it comes up as being a 32gb drive. All of my drivers are updated, I've downloaded both windows service packs and have all other uptodate system info.

I had the drive on a desktop system, with both linux and windows installed, before I installed it in the external case and it was being read as a full 120gbs. I formated it via fdisk before pulling it and selling the desktop.

Any ideas how or what I can do to revive the lost 90gbs? I've tried Norton Partition Magic, but to no prevail, it only detected the 32gb. Thanks!

set the jumper on the back

lot of hard drives had a 32 gig point that you set with the jumper

why i don't know

is this FAT32 or NTFS? More than likely its either because you choose NTFS or because you used the DOS FDISK and not had XP FDSIK for you. Got to remember, FAT32 has a 32GB limit and you are running a Dos base utility. Rerun but fdisk through the cd auto setup.

killians45 I think you have that backwards. In winXP they crippled it so you can only format a max volume of 32GB using fat32. With fdisk you can format a fat32 volume up to 2 terrabtyes, the same limit as NTFS ver5.

Blackecho to get around your problem don't make fat32 partitions with winXP, use fdisk or gdisk instead. I think win98 & winME can format fat32 volumes over 32GB too

http://www.abit-usa.com/faq/mb/2002031801.php

thanks for all of the help! I recently reformated it under winxp in an nfts partition, once again, didn't make any difference. also i've not got any jumpers attached at the moment, but i've used all different combinations. i've no way to boot to dos as I've not got a floppy disc drive on my laptop. however, if you all know a way to get back to fdisk please let me know. also, what is gdisk? and where can i get it? thanks so much once again.

attach you a jumper or 2 as master on the back

if you my memory serve me correctly wdc had 2 on their 120 gig (i could be wrong)

tried it... no good. thanks though. i think that it may be a hidden partition back when i had linux and windows on it. is there a way to find hidden partitions? or wipe them out completley?

couldnt u just?.. go to, /controle panel/admin tools/compmanager/disk manager/ right click the hidden partition, "delete'

as in hidden, i do mean extreamly hidden. the drive is just showing up as a 32gb partition. it's not even showing up in partition magic.

im not shur how this might turn out using an external HD(i never used one). but can u even see the volume or partition in diskpart?

go to /run/cmd, "enter"... type "diskpart" , "list disk". "select disk#" , "list partition/volume"

maybe your have much better luck, just by sticking it ina desktop pc first and formatting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom