Help With Fan Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanicus

Beta member
Hello

I have had computers for about 6-7 years now, and most, if not all, computers have been afflicted by fan noise.

I always put it down to cheap parts and bad manufacturing, and left it at that.
But about a year ago, I built my first computer, and used a a silect case fan from a website (quietpc.com probably). Roughly 3 months ago, it started to make noise (more noise than a normal fan would).
I replaced it with a normal fan, which was better, but now that one has started to do the same thing.

They always seem to go after a certain amount of time has passed. I have tried cleaning them, using more/less screws to hold them in place (all 4 or 1 on opposite corners), all producing the same noise.

I currently have a bog-standard one in there now, which although is getting noisy like the others, it currently bearable.

Any tips or info on why they all do this, and how to remedy it?

Please ask if you need more info, but I may not be able to help. Some of the fans do not have boxes, and the ones that do have names different to the box, so I have no idea what is what. Rest assured I have about 5 case fans, and they all started off ok, but now make a lot of noise

Although I appreciate the link, I am more interested in finding out why they all do this, rather than buying more, only for them to do the same thing.

my guess is the bearings in the fans. I dont think you can get a fan that wont end up making noise. My fans only seem to make noise because i have 5 going at the same time.

how many fans u got though? just the one?

Yes, I have 1 case fan, 1 built into my graphics card, one on the CPU, and the large on on the power output (well, I assume that is a fan, it has a fan-type grill on the bottom of it).

Good to know that its not something wrong with my computer, and that it is a general wear-and-tear cause.

the one I have in there at the moment is fine for now, but I guess I can swap it out for the others when it start getting noisy

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom