Help to choose grafic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I want to buy new video card to my computer. I have P3 616Mhz, 256Mb SDRAM. Now I have Nvidia Vanta 32Mb card, but many games thad could work with my cpu want better video card.

I don't want to buy very expensive and last model card (like ones with 256Mb),I also have not so much money for it. I just want to buy video card that I will be able to get all I can from my comp.

Maby you can advice something to me.
Thanks

-AndreiD

Well, the good news your puter probably can't handle any of the expensive stuff;) :p

What GFX bus you using?? PCI or maybe AGP 2x?

Any card you get will be severly bottlenecked by the rest of the system:confused:

I think he'll be able to do alright with a PCI version of the 9200 or FX 5200.

smartech said:
I want to buy new video card to my computer. I have P3 616Mhz, 256Mb SDRAM. Now I have Nvidia Vanta 32Mb card, but many games thad could work with my cpu want better video card.

I don't want to buy very expensive and last model card (like ones with 256Mb),I also have not so much money for it. I just want to buy video card that I will be able to get all I can from my comp.

Maby you can advice something to me.
Thanks

-AndreiD

Be wary of your motherboard and motherboard chipset. Most newer cards will not be backwards-compatible with AGP 1.0 systems.

A Radeon 9100, GeForce FX 5200 or GeForce4 Ti 4200 may work well, but just keep in mind that your system will still have severe bottlenecks that will hinder the graphics card from using its full potential. However, if your PIII is of the 133 MHz bus variety, you may have a shot of luck.

I have 2x AGP bus.
My CPU's original bus is 100Mhz, But few weeks before I overclocked it to 112. So I made 616Mhz (112*5.5) from my original 550Mhz (100*5.5).

If your AGP bus is only capable of doing up to 2x AGP, then I would recommend getting the GEFORCE MX 440 AGP 2x/4x

It will run at 2x, but it should do you for now, and while your at it, get an extra 256mb of ram if your motherboard allows it.

TRUST ME, RAM HELPS SO GREAT, OHHHHH SO GREAT, YOU WONT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IT WILL MAKE IF YOU GO UP TO 512 FROM 256! TRUST ME!!!

the mx line is terrible ... What I ran in my old 300 mhz is a Geforce 3 TI 450 (gainwards overclocked version)

That was great, and benchmarked higher than an mx 4 series. You should consider getting a Geforce 3 TI card. I'd say that's about where your pc maxes out.

GeForce3 Ti 200 - $65-70
GeForce4 Ti 4200 - $80-100

The GeForce4 Ti line can still make some impact on a relatively slow machine (by today's standards), just not what you'd expect on a faster machine.

modemide said:
the mx line is terrible ... What I ran in my old 300 mhz is a Geforce 3 TI 450 (gainwards overclocked version)

That was great, and benchmarked higher than an mx 4 series. You should consider getting a Geforce 3 TI card. I'd say that's about where your pc maxes out.

Crap, ya, listen to him.

I forgot about the Titanium Geforce series.

They are definetely better than the MX series, like he said, so if you can, try and find one of those cards.

(WOOPSIE!) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom