Help With Bios Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeydvd

Beta member
I installed a sony dru-820a dvd dual layer burner. However it is extremely slow. I think I may need to upgrade my bios. I went into system information and found the following:

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0023.P08.0309261501,
9/26/2003

I can't seem to find a place to upgrade my bios, and am not sure how to proceed with finding a secure update for my bios.

Can anyone help?

Here is information on my dvd burner...it looks like I have installed it fine.

Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name SONY DVD RW DRU-820A
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMSONY_DVD_RW_DRU-820A____________________1.0B____\5&31BE0435&0&0.1. 0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/29/2002 8:00 AM)

smokeydvd said:
I installed a sony dru-820a dvd dual layer burner. However it is extremely slow. I think I may need to upgrade my bios. I went into system information and found the following:

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0023.P08.0309261501,
9/26/2003

I can't seem to find a place to upgrade my bios, and am not sure how to proceed with finding a secure update for my bios.

Can anyone help?

What read and write speeds are you getting?

You can benchmark your drive using the following tool if you don't know:

http://cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=dvdspeed.html

Its probably new firmware.

The japanese like to release programming that very faulty.
Thats why many people have a myth about japan being more electronically advanced because they release buggy hardware before proper testing.

Sony is very known for this, so i recommend that you avoid sony products. Many people in the cs world know this.
Two example of how poor quality hardware they deliver is the 2.4x problem on DL drives, and the cheap ccd problem.

The slugginess of the drive may be the spoolup/read.
My pioneer 110 also has this, i upgraded the firmware and it runs a little faster...but it always wrote verbatim dls just fine.....

found out the problem was that my HD had a slow cable hooking it up to the motherboard. Replaced it with a high speed ide cable and now my drive and comp work amazing. Thanks for the replies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom