HDMI to Coax?

nconfort

Beta member
Hi there everybody. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I will spare you the reasons as to why I want to do this, but I am wanting to connect my HD cable box to my regular Coax input on my TV.

I am under the impression that HD signals can be transmitted over coax, but that my cable box's coax output does not output an HD signal. Only the HDMI output does.

I am hoping to use some kind of conversion box to change the HDMI output on the cable box to my coax input on my TV, and to still get the HD picture quality.

Does anybody know of any devices that will do the job I am describing? I can't seem to find anything other than very expensive devices that are for wiring bars and such. I just need this for one TV. Thanks so much!

Uh, what kind of TV do you have? Most, if not all HD TVs have only one coax input for an over the air antenna. It's not actually an input. Basic cable channels can be had over this method too (if your line is hooked up directly), but it won't do HD except picking up basic HD over the air channels.

I have a newer vizio tv that goes up to 1080p. I am able to use the coax input for a VCR and other things that can be connected via coax. I am just looking for a way to concert an hdmi signal to coax for a single tv.

Basically cable box to hdmi output to conversion box to coax output into the tv

From what I have researched,

Coax can indeed carry an HD signal (as it has to do to get HD to the cable box from the wall in the first place). I have used antennas that carried HD signals to the very same input and was able to get 1080i. I know the input can accept HD through that input. Even if it accepts interlaced only, the cable box can be set to that format. From when I talked to tech support regarding the cable box, the only reason I do not get HD from the coax output on the cable box is that the box does not output HD through it. If it did (which some boxes do), I would be able to receive HD through that output from what I have researched.

However, I am looking for a way to convert the HDMI output to a coax connection to test it out.

Yes, but the coax input on your TV itself has to be able to accept HD input via a cable box device. Different signals there.

I know coax can send signals that carry HD channels, but those are encrypted and encoded signals that the HD boxes convert for output to your TV. That is why services like TWC for instance require the box for HD. As a former DTV installer I can tell you all about this kind of stuff. Thing is, the coax input on your TV is there to receive basic unencrypted cable and HD over the air signal.

Anyways, what you want does exist, but they are pretty expensive. You can pretty much find any gender bender you want for TV and other sources at this site.
Send HDMI signals over the coax cable that already exists in your house with this HDMI over the coax. - CONVERTERS & ADAPTERS

Coax is analog and HDMI is digital. Two different signal types that do not communicate. The original signal coming in is a clean 480p analog signal. Some boxes use 2 analog coax inputs to get a true 720p my Bell fibe box did this was also the cleanest cable I have ever seen. I also have as good a 1080p tv set you can get (Samsung 8000 series). The thing is what your cable box does is take the 480p signal and. Converts it from analog to digital and uoconverts it to 720p for transmission through HDMI you won't find much on the market that will convert it back down to analog. It'd be cheaper to buy a refurbished analog Coax cable box from your service provider. I sold TV home theatre for the last 3 years and am quite knowledgeable on the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom