HD Crashed, trying to access regedit as secondary HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

csw3190

In Runtime
A month or so ago, my WD 1600 caviar crashed (only boot sector though) but i still have most of my files. I was wondering if i can access the regestry edit to recover some stuff that's in there. I tried searching the HD for "regedit" but it seems to forward to the regedit of the master HD.

if you think the boot sector is corrupt, go to cmd, type 'chkdsk' and it will tell you

I'm not sure I think the command to rebuild the boot record is 'rebuild br' or 'rebuild mbr'

if the boot record is not recoverable, or you can't rebuild it, you can type 'recover' to recover all readable info from the disk

Um, i didn't need to know how to restore the boot sector, i just want to access the registery if that's possible, but thanx anyways.

You won't be able to access the registry of a drive unless you can get it to boot. There is no simple way to edit the registry in a DOS environment.

If you want, you can make that drive a slave and attach it to a working computer so you can copy any files on it. (If possible)

and in XP its fixmbr, but dont know if thats gonna do you any good. Also, you said something about your files and the getting to the registry to recover some stuff? Your not talking about files, are you? Thats not what the registry is for.

well it's AIM away messages that are stored in the reg. and right now it is set up as a slave on my comptuer whi8ch i have a new hard drive with a working boot sector

ah, okay I gotcha. I thought you were trying to back of files, like downloads or something. whew. I never guess on how much someone knows, so I just had to make sure. Anyhow, try fixmbr (XP). You can also try to restore it with the cd. I'm assuming this is your second boot device, so using the registry entry will not work like that. You're sure its the MBR? Can you access the HDD and its files from Dos (boot disk)? If you have problems with it being seen that way, set it up as the primary, remove the other drive and boot from floppy and try to access that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom