Hardware Advice and Recommendations Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epscilon

Beta member
I am having a few problems with my system freezing up and have tried many things to stop it. The only thing that seems to work is under clocking my system running the bus speed at 100 rather than 133. It wasn't a very hight spec machine any way so now I think I am going to upgrade.

Basically I want advice on what to get and make sure it all fits together nicely and is compatible. Ok here is what I need to buy:

MotherBoard
CPU
Power Supply
DDR Ram
Sound Card
Extra CPU Fan ???
Windows XP?

Here is what I want to keep from my current system:

The Case
Graphics Card (Radeon 8500LE)
Floppy Drive
CD ROM
CD RW
80 Gig HDD
20 Gig HDD
USB Stuff

I really want to have a system that is going to last me the next couple of years so maybe 2ghz plus with 3/4 to 1 gig of memory. I mainly use it for games and am quite happy with my graphics card at the moment even though it is getting out of date. I think I want to update the rest of the stuff first and can't really afford both.

Any suggestions of places to buy cheap kit (I am in the UK) and recommendations of what to buy would be great. I hope to keep to a budget of around maybe £300 but could stretch to a bit more if needs be.

Thanks in advance.

How about:

400 powersupply (I'm a fan of Thermaltake)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo
Athlon XP 2800 or higher
1 gig of DDR400 (true DDR400, not that overclocked shit)
MAKE SURE THEY"RE SAMSUNG CHIPS FOR THIS BOARD!!!

That should get you on the path to longevitiy.

At the moment I have Athlon and have been pretty happy with it, so I think really I am just after value for money. Would that be athlon or intel? I will check out these things lostman suggested and see how much it all comes to.

Thanks very much

Historicly AMD's have more bang for the buck then the Intel chips. But you trade it for heat. A good heatsink and fan solves that issue though.

i been looking for hte past 3 months at upgrading my comp, and for around the same performance, the intel chips are cheaper, and have double the fsb, which as you know is the speed that the chip communicates with the memory, which will greatly increase speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom