Hard drive problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckle_Dragger

Beta member
I just bought a new hard drive . After I installed it, I turned on the computer and Windows found it and automatically installed the drivers. Then I went into MY COMPUTER and the drive was not in the list. I went into Device Manager and it claimed that the device was working properly. I unistalled and reinstalled the driver and still it didn't work. I turned off the computer, changed from cable select to slave and still it did not work. I installed an OLD 5 gig hard drive as cable select in place of the new drive just to see what would happen and Windows found and installed it and I could see it in the MY COMPUTER menu.

Is the drive bad or is there anything else I could try? TIA!

K_D

Nah, not a bad drive. You just gotta format it. When you get a new drive it's COMPLETELY clean. So you gotta create a partition in which it can even store data. Partition magic is a great program to use to create the partition.

Generally though it does show up in my computer. Mine does and I'm able to right click it and choose format.

Go to the device manager and see if theres an option to format it

if all he has to do is format, he could of just when to (xp) controle pannel/admin tools/comp manager/disk manager... rightclick, format.

(i think, havnt used 98 in long time)(98) msdos prompt/diskpart/help.. blablabla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom