Hard drive problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
It JUST started doing this. It sounds like the hard drive starts to spin up then clicks and stops, then starts to do it again. Could this be the processor? I recently installed a sound card, not that i would think that caused this problem. Also it gives me an "unknown hard error" when this happens. Would a defrag/reinstall help?

Try it.
Normally clicking sound arises due to two reasons
1.The HDD is going to die(Back up ur data) or
2.There is a virus in ur HD.

I dont think virus could bring mechanical effects to the hard drive.
what make is your hard drive?

and have u got it accidently strucked by somethign hard? definately the spindle is getting entangled with somthing in the drive cabinet.

definately arrow, a virus couldn't cause this.

that was going to be my guess also, have you kicked the computer lately??

Well i figured out what it was, i had a HD cooler attached to the HD and the molex connector the the cooler was crap and it caused the drive to recieve and not recieve power over and over which was the spinup/down i was hearing. So i removed that and it no longer makes that noise, but now I cannot load into windows (sits at the loading screen). I used the windows CD to start up and went into recovery mode where i then ran CHKDSK. This gave me an error "The Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

....i guess i will reinstall windows if i can, because my data is pretty much gone unless you guys can help me out:(

ALSO: It is a 2 month old Western Digital SATA 120GB 7,200rpm drive

you might want to make it a slave on another computer and see if you can get any of the data off of the drive....then do a low level format to make sure you erase everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom