Hard drive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiofar

Baseband Member
I have two hard drives on my computer. I currently have them daisy chained on a promise ultra 100 tx2 pci card. I was told that it would be better if I connected each hard drive seperately (especially since I have an empty slot), and that would speed up transfer times between the two (using same cable slows transfer speed), first question is this true? Secondly, I went ahead and did so, but my card does not detect the primary hard drive (master) it only detects the second one, but the os is only on the first one, thus my pc does not boot up. I tried changing cables between the hard drives and using new ones, but that still does not work (only 2nd drive is detected). I had to go back to my old set up and that way it works (daisy chained). Any help would be appreciated.

When you change cables around, do you also change switches on HDD for Master, Slave and etc?

When I mean I change cables I mean I try a new one. The primary HD is set on master and I do not change that (this is the one that is not detected) , but know that you mention that, the secondary hd is set to slave (although that is the only one that is detected) could that cause a problem?

Make sure your primery drive is on the PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL on the card itself! This is the drive that will be used for booting the system.

You can plug both hard drives onto the two channels make sure they are both Masters or cable select... IF you put them in seperate channels.

Let us know how things go.

Thx for all your help. I did forget to change my second drive from slve to master (160 gb hd) but I had it disconnected. My first drive was not detected (80 gb hd) and it was set to master. I went ahead and put them both on cs and everything worked fine. Thx for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom