Hard Drive Noise - (Video Clip Included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

airy

Beta member
Heres one of my backup drives that just started making a clicking noise when i plug it in.... I didnt do anything to it but take it out and had it sitting on my desk....

Heres a video of what its doin.....
http://www.sedatedmind.com/hdd_noise.wmv Direct link to clip
(loud fan is from the external usb case its in)

Its a Hitachi 120gb Deskstar HD from a dell PC I had..... what could this be? Is it DEAD or can I do something to get a chance to pullthe data from it?

Thank you! :mad:

does it do that all the time or just when u lift it up. u might be able to get data out of it. does ur computer still start up when u use it.

I wouldn't recomend you start lifting or moving hard drives while they're powered up!!
Sorry, haven't seen video clip (no speakers) so can you tell me, is it just making a clicking noise or does it spin up as normal as well?

I assume you can't access the drive at all. This clicking noise is often a symptom of a physical problem within the drive such as a head crash for example. If it is, then you have very little chance of recovering anything from it.

Worth checking the cabling, jumper configuration & power supply to drive first though before you write it off completely.

if ur lucky u might be able to get sum data of it there are sum progs around that do it for u google for it, but make sure u set it to slave though. if that fails there are companies that can do it for you but they are expensive its just upto how valuble the data is.

Hard Drive Clicking... FIXED!!!!
Why do drive manufactures leave the circuit board exposed on the bottom of every drive i have ever seen.... I guess I shorted someting out... I fixed it by swaping the logic board from another identical drive to the broke one and it is working perfectly.... im pulling the data off it right now.....

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom