Hard Drive and CD Drive Cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Ok, I have this cable that is for my HD and apparently my CD drive. It is an EIDE cable (the flat one with the single colored wire labeled as #1[I think that's right]). So anyways, I have to stretch this cable to connect my CD Drive to the HD to the mobo, and it is really hard to get them together because the cable is just out of reach of connecting. The cable is labeled as the "HD Cable" with 3 connectors: 1 that connects to the mobo, that connects to teh "Master" and one that connects to the "Slave". I also have this other EIDE cable that is labeled as "CD Drive Cable". Can I just use that cable to connect the CD drive to the mobo? This question is probably hard to follow, but I tried explaining it as best I could. I wil try to get pics of the cables. Thanks for the help.

LOL

Sounds like you got one of those DELL comps (or insert your mass-PC producer name instead).

If your mobo has two controller ports (where your ribbon cables connect to) then yes. Just go buy another flat-ribbon cable (make sure it's the right kind) and hook'em up. Put the drives on the end connectors, not the middle ones, and yer all set.

Never in my life will I own a Dell. Never have and never will. I'm talking about the comp that I built last summer/fall.

Yea, my mobo has like 2 ports and I have 3 ribbon cables: floppy, CD and HD master slave. That is all I wanted to know. Thanks Shoobie!

Yeah, you want to use the seperate cables for the CD-ROM drive and the Hard drive. If the CD-ROM drive and the hard drive are on the same cable, the CD-ROM will dramatically slow down the transfer speed of the hard drive.

Put the hard drive on the Master of the main IDE and put the CD-ROM on the Master of the CD-ROM IDE.

I was just thrown off by your labeled ribbons. That's usually indicative of a factory machine like SMELL or Compaqted.

yep gotta love those big fatty cables....wouldnt really start pullin on it tho...u can get one for like 3 bux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom