Hard drive access on barebones system

Status
Not open for further replies.

neway9

Beta member
Hello,

I recently put together my first PC, an Asus barebones system. I installed the memory 2x512mb the two optical drives, the processor and the Hard drive (Maxtor 160gb). When I booted from the CD and went to install windows, I chose to create a partition, when I pressed enter to create the partition, the screen went straight back to the previous page (install or create partition) without creating it.

I put the hard drive into my other computer, installed XP from there then put my hard drive back into the Asus.

I booted up and saw the XP boot up screen for about 1 second before it rebooted.

It seems that the computer can see the hard drive but has problems when trying to access it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

you dummy.

the install needs to be done in the machine its going to stay in. different chipset = no boot. reload it in the new system and it will be fine.

umm shawn-- "you dummy" really isnt a nice way to refer to the newbies...

yeah you can't install on a different system- you have to install windows at the computer it will be used on.

neway9, one way to create the partition is to do it while installing xp on the system. But you must do it while you are installing it on the computer you are formatting.

The other way is to format the hard drive with a Maxtor Utility disk which you should have gotten with the Maxtor hard drive. If you don't have it, go here: maxblast3.exe Liz

Create partition in the other comp, and install in barebone.
EDIT: *install Windows after putting the formatted disk in ur barebone.

BTW, in most cases XP works perfectly when transferring it from one system to another. There's nothing wrong with trying it. I did it multiple times.

Thanks for the info guys,

I had to reboot from CD again then the partition was there, I reinstalled windows and the few programs I had installed.

I have another query if you can help,

I had a power cut a few weeks ago, havent been able to access a drive since then. Its a seagate 200gb. It is recognised in BIOS but I cant boot on it as it says it cant find an operating system. If I boot from CD or try to install windows the computer instantly blue screens and says something about a nonpage error (usually associated with drivers).

I have tried this on two computers, and have put the HDD in an external USB enclosure but it says there was a problem installing the device.

Have I lost this drive for good?

Cheers for any ideas.

(PS, I have a surge protector now!!)

wait if you say you have a surge protector NOW, then maybe did the poor poor computer get an electrical shock or surge (hence the name surge protector hah)?? if so, maybe thats not a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom