hard disk startup sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I was wondering if the sounds my hard disk make at startup are natural

While it is loading up the RAMs at startup it makes a whole lot of funny noises. when it finally settles down , there is a constant hum

my hard disk is a new WD 160 gig Caviar ATA 100

It'd help to describe exactly what kind of noises its making. But to tell you the truth it really should be generally quiet. Are the noises loud, screeching what? Noises in the harddrive are generally NOT good.

i was wondering if the noises had something to do with my configuration in my 3.5 inch bay

at present it is

-------------------------
the 160 gig hard drive literrally kisses the floor of the drive bay.

i was wondering if i should have it in the following configuration

-------------------------

That's the way I would go, With the hard disk off the floor. Is it one that has the rubber-like casing over the metal and bottom?

which way would you go jack, no it is not the one with the rubber casing.

does the rubber casing help?

I myself would keep it away from the floppy becuase floppy drives have magnets in them.

Harddrives + magnets = not good

must be the wasps. they sometimes nest in there. or tiny little people. they're like nomads, going from computer to computer. they only camp a few days, though... you can hear them humming lil' tunes.

anyhow, could be it's not mouned firmly. they spin pretty quick. so maybe getting some vibration. also check the specs. some hard drives tend to be louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom