The Great router discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesman

In Runtime
hello everyone. this seems to be pretty much be the only area of it that i dont know a bit of.
so klets get the routing discussion going shall we. i will start it off with a few q's

1: what exactly is a router?

2: whats the differnce between a dsl router and just a router.

3: how do you configure routers?

there ya go, lets all get educated
well me at least.
thanks again!

and i love these forums! you guys rock!

chesman said:
hello everyone. this seems to be pretty much be the only area of it that i dont know a bit of.
so klets get the routing discussion going shall we. i will start it off with a few q's

1: what exactly is a router?

2: whats the differnce between a dsl router and just a router.

3: how do you configure routers?

there ya go, lets all get educated
well me at least.
thanks again!

and i love these forums! you guys rock!

A router & DSL router are the same thing. They are usually labeled as a "Cable/DSL Router"

Anyway a router is device that connects two networks together. It's similar to a hub, but the main difference is that a router is "smart" meaning it can direct traffic.

Example:
Say you have a cable modem, and a LAN in your home, consisting of 2 or more computers, and you want the other computers to share the Internet connection. The easiest way to do this is to get a router, then plug the cable modem into the router, and then hook up the other systems in the LAN to the other ports on the router. Once this is done, the other computers will be able to access the Net using just this one cable connection.

Usually there is no configuration needed, unless you want to do things like host games, start an FTP server (allow people to connect to you) and so on. If this is the case, alll you do is go to the router setup and open the port which is needed. This needs to be done becuase most routers have built-in firewalls.
It's sometimes different for each brand, but to configure it you just open your browser and type the following address: http://192.168.100.1 Again, its slightly different depending on which brand you have but that's basically it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom