Good UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I am looking for a UPS that will have enough power to support my computer... I am using a 610W PSU, q6600, 8800gt, 500gb seagate, etc.

I've looked around, and they're pretty expensive.
What wattage do I need, and can anyone point me in the direction of one that will be good, yet not too much money? (under $100)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

(moving into dorm in fall, and I hear that the power fluctuates like crazy)

If you have a 600W PSU you would need at least a 1200W UPS. that way you could at least run it long enough to shut down everything properly.

Without a doubt they are expensive for what you want.

Newegg.com - Uninterruptible Power Supply

But in the end they are worth it. Saved my bacon a few times.

Cheers,
Mak

Wow, really? Why do I need twice as much wattage?

For example, I found a 560W UPS at Circuit City for $95 which says it can provide battery for up to 75 minutes. That wouldn't work for me?

Definitely not gonna spend $500 on one of these... was thinking it would be worth it for less than 100.

Well 2x is what i would run. To give myself some time. If you only got a 560W then it could sustain your PC for longer than a few minutes. Since you are drawing more than it can handle it would only work for about 5 minutes. I had a 300W UPS with a 600W PSU and i would only work for 3 minutes when the power went down. Just enough time to do a Start>Shut Down.

Have to remember it will drawn what you are using to run the components. So it will draw 610W from a 560W Battery. If you look at it that way. It will not last no 75 minutes. If you had a 500W PSu then yes it would. But not with a 610W PSU.

Cheers,
Mak

well thank you very much... guess i just gotta decide if i'll be ok with shutting down within 5 mins or if i wanna sink some extra cash into this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom