getting a new dell pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

deh707

Solid State Member
im planning to get this: (customizable)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim84min&s=bsd#bottom_anchor

i chose these settings so i could get to less than $1000: (which ended up to $919):

dimension 8400

Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 400MHz (2x512M)
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800

will that comp with my custom settings be a good gaming pc?
i want to play half life 2 and doom 3 with at least no lag, and acceptable graphics. is the 6800 good enough?

the 6800 is a good enough graphics card to run doom 3 and hl2 well
however i wouldnt recommend buying from dell as they are overpriced and they use generic ram and graphics cards as well i think (unless things in the U.S. are dramatically different from Australia) building your own pc is much more cost-efficient and if your not confident doing this your local pc shop should be able to build a much better value pc.

Build your own PC or get one custom made.

Also WTF is a 6800GTO? In our world, it doesnt exist. In hell's world, it exists.

Last time I chcked dell was using 6800LE's and crap which could barely outpower a 6600GT

mcslave said:
the 6800 is a good enough graphics card to run doom 3 and hl2 well
however i wouldnt recommend buying from dell as they are overpriced and they use generic ram and graphics cards as well i think (unless things in the U.S. are dramatically different from Australia) building your own pc is much more cost-efficient and if your not confident doing this your local pc shop should be able to build a much better value pc.

Dell uses Re-branded Kingston RAM in alot of their PC's.

Every 'pre-made' comp is going to be more costly. That's just the price you have to pay for the convenience. I don't mind spending more for pre-built because I don't have time to build my own. Anyway, you could probably do better than dell though for the same money.

Do Not Buy Dell!!

Save yourself money and get a quality system for around the same price elsewhere - call into a local pc shop if you have to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom