Geforce FX 5600 help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hertzy42

Solid State Member
I just got my geforce fx 5600 256mb ddr card today. Tried plugging it in and nothing; totally dead. The old one reinstalls fine, before I send it back as doa, wanted to check if theres something else that could be at fault? my power supply is 250W DC.

I believe you have to completely disable your old card and uninstall the drivers in Windows XP, and if its an integrated card you are moving from, you need to change some BIOS settings as well. What kind of computer do you have and give me its specs.

well i installed a completely new harddrive along with it, so i'm not sure it's a driver thing. the motherboard is a SY-K7VTA PRO v.1.0. the processor at the moment is a 1.0ghz duron (though while not on topic, a new 2.0ghz athlon xp is on the way). I have a 256mb pc133 chip for memory. the one i'm moving from installs in the same slot, its not integrated or anything.

edit: SY = SOYO by the way

You need at least 300W for that card to work efficiently. Really, 250W isn't enough. But it should still work, you will just lag in games.

right. well i planned on getting a better supply, but i should be getting SOMETHING out of it, right? the cooling fan doesnt spin, nada. ok, off to the post office i go i guess.

I believe it says right in the instruction manual that comes with that card it "requires" a 350watt PSU. Take a look, my friend just bought the same card and had to pruchase a new PSU.

Yeah I have the 5700 card and it says atleast 300, I'd suggest looking into a 350w or better just for upgrade room in the future.

my manual is four pages long and doesnt say anything of the sort. its also written in really poor english, and the online pdf didnt say anything about power requirements either. well, I guess I could go buy the new PSU and try it out before sending the thing back. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom